Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why does a package of meat cost $140?!!!?

So Daniel and I have a friend in town today, and like the good hostess that I want to be, I invited him over for a home cooked meal. So I started rooting through my fridge and pantry....it doesn't take very long because we really don't have a lot of food right now (I'm trying to stretch our budget). I then give Daniel a list of things that we could make (and when I say "we", I really mean I) and he says Fajitas sounds good. So I pull out the meat and start thawing it, and it's not the beef flank I need, it's tri-tip. So I tell Daniel and we agree that we should just go to Costco and get more meat.
We arrive at Costco and start walking in, then Daniel says,"Oh! we didn't grab a cart". Mistake #1. So we head back to the meat section and find what we need. I throw it in the cart and start walking away. Then, right in front of me, is a beautiful apple pie!! I point it out to Daniel and say "Wow! that looks good. Let's get it.....wait, no, we can't get it. Oh, but it looks so good!!" So we grab it and put it in the cart. And Daniel says, "Why not. If we run out of money before either of us gets a job....we'll just move in with my parents." This sounded reasonable to me and the pie looked soooo good.
From there it was a free for all....so to speak. We found a few other things that we thought we "needed" in bulk. Then went to check out. $140+ later we got our meat and pie and a few other things. CURSE YOU COSTCO!!!!

5 comments:

Valerie Christensen said...

That is the story of my life. If I walk out of Costco and I have spent less than $100 it is a miracle. You really are getting a good deal, but it is hard spending so much when you walk out with like only 10 things. And that apple pie looks so yummy!

Anne-Marie said...

lol that is too funny!! But mann...i hope that pie tasted as good as it looks..MMM!!! How is the job hunt going by the way? Call me anytime, I feel like I have no free time left anymore and when I do I just want to sleep! I miss you tons, love you!

salty c-snake said...

Here's wishing you luck with your blog. It looks darling. And I have to tell you, we love settlers of cataan, but have not found anyone to play with since moving to wichita falls. we had to teach john, but it's not the same. so if you're ever in TX!!

oolby
wackywarnocks.blogspot.com

Hyrum and Kiera said...

Been there, done that - every trip I take. Granted, CostCo is a LOT better than Sam's Club and Sam's is the only place we've got here in North Carolina, so I make do. But I'm telling you - $200 later with just food? It's not like you're buying a piece of artwork that you can stare at for the rest of your life. You're going to eat it. And then never see it again. What is up with that?

Rachael Lippmann said...

So true Kiera! Think about where that food all ends up. (HINT: it's not a very pleasant place)